Thursday, August 28, 2008

Be less like the Morlocks. Come up above ground!

(MORLOCKS, For those not in the know.)

Today, I realized that I did not have a map. I did not have a guide. I did not have any reference material whatsoever, beside that which was either in my head or quickly read on the wall as I passed by.

I had the London Underground memorized! The Tube network lay before me like vast plain of opportunities. No longer need I squint at little bit of folded paper, or stand at a poster for minute upon minute tracing my route. At the very least, I have developed enough confidence in the system to know that it will pretty much get me anywhere I need to go. I hop from station to station, line to line, and pop up of out the ground like an eager little mole (did you want me to say 'beaver?'). I even have the national rail system licked. Wanna go to Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow? Get to London Euston Station, take a Virgin Train. Wanna go to Nottingham, Newcastle, Yorkshire, etc.? Go to St. Pancras Station, take an East Anglia Train. (OK, I know there are “train-geeks” out there that will point out there are many, many other options for doing the above, and there are also many other stations to use, destinations, etc. I am just making point. Geezo!)

Recently, (let's say today…) I had to take a train up to Birmingham for business-stuff. It was on this trip that I made my realization. I simply bought a ticket and pretty much blindly (unconsciously) worked my way into London, got to Euston Station, and waited for my departure. I then woke up to the fact of how I actually got there. Basking in my new found euphoria at my London Underground skill and having spare time before departure, I stepped outside the station to get a coffee. (Yes, I could’ve had coffee inside the station but I knew there was better coffee outside. Nyah.) In my confidence-inspired bliss, I wandered outside to my coffee shop.

Then I looked around.

Then it all came crashing down upon me, like so much air explosively departing a popped balloon (read: my ego).

IS THIS ALL I REALLY KNOW?

I realized, much to my disappointment that I had no idea where anything really was ABOVE GROUND! I have no true understanding of where any of the tube stops or train stations really are—physically. I couldn’t walk from one to the other. I couldn’t wander two blocks from my coffee place and figure out where I was. (yes, I could walk backwards, duh.) Even as I travel in/out of the National rail stations on main line trains, I only see tracks. I don’t really know where Euston Station is in London, other than: “It’s a stop on the Northern Line. I can get there from Liverpool Street station, by taking the Circle or Hammersmith & City line west Moorgate, or just get of at Euston Square and walk down the street one block.” I only know that Kings Cross-St. Pancras Station is a bit south from Euston because I have to pass it on the Northern Line Underground.

I do not “know” London afterall. Oh sure, I have a few favourite haunts. The area immediately around London Bridge Tube Stop is home to approx. 6 of my 'best-pubs' (and one really good kebab-shop). Of course, I also am very familiar with the area around Liverpool Street Station as I take visitors on my “there-were-other-serial-murderers-besides-jack-the-ripper-walking-tour”. AND who isn’t familiar with the whole area around the Westminster Tube Stop? You’ve got Parliament, Westminster Abbey, the bridge, the Eye, etc. But that’s all I know, really. Everywhere else I go, I just crawl out of the ground at the Tube Station, emerge blinking into the light of the world of London-Above-Ground and look for the address of my intended destination. Usually, it’s pretty near whatever Tube Line I took. Convenient, yes, but not good for actually seeing the city around me.

I think need to spend more time above ground. I have got to walk around the city a bit more outside of the touristy areas and my favourite pub-crawls. London is a big city.

I am sure it is a wonderful place.
--tomb

No comments: